Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
2 tablespoons sesame or peanut oil
2 eggs, lightly whisked
100 gm green prawns, peeled, deveined and chopped (optional)
1 carrot, grated
1 stick celery, finely chopped
¼ Chinese cabbage, shredded
2 cups cooked brown rice
½ cup frozen peas or corn kernels
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add half the oil and pour in whisked eggs. Turning the wok in a swirling motion, run egg around the sides of the pan to make a thin omelette. When cooked, turn omelette out onto a board, roll up and cut into thin slices.
- Reheat wok, and add remaining oil. Cook prawns in batches until cooked through and prawns change colour. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Reheat wok. Add carrot and celery, and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Add cabbage, stirring for a further 2 minutes.
- Add rice, prawns, peas, soy sauce and tomato sauce to the wok. Toss until combined and heated through.
- Spoon into serving bowls and top with sliced egg.
Tip: if your children don’t eat prawns, try this recipe with chicken strips or tofu instead. In fact, you can use any vegetables or meat to make this recipe. If you have a mix of leftovers in the fridge, throw them in as well – anything goes!
Older children might want to try using chopsticks to eat their fried rice. But keep a fork handy just in case!