Serves 4 (1 burger each)
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
500 gm lean chicken mince
1 cup canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed and chopped
2 zucchinis, grated
4 spring onions, chopped
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
½ teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
4 small wholemeal bread rolls, split
4 slices cheese
4 butter lettuce leaves, washed and dried
4 slices beetroot
2 tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together chicken mince, chickpeas, zucchini, egg and spring onions, and season with black pepper. Divide mixture into 4 patties. Put onto a plate, cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the sweet potato into a bowl and toss with oil and paprika. Tip onto prepared baking tray, spread out and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes until golden.
- Heat a barbecue grill or frying pan over medium-high heat, and cook patties for 4 minutes each side.
- To assemble burgers, place cheese, lettuce, beetroot and tomato onto one half of a roll. Top with a chicken patty and other half of the roll. Serve with sweet potato wedges.
Tip: double the recipe to make extra patties, and freeze them for dinner another night!
Smaller children might like to leave the ‘lid’ off the bread roll so it’s easier for them to manage.